I discovered turmeric by chance. I was intrigued by this tiny root and the rumors i’ve heard regarding its benefits.
What is it?
Turmeric or or is a rhizomatous herbaceous perennial plant of the ginger family, Zingiberaceae. It is native in southwest India, and needs temperatures between 20 and 30 °C and a considerable amount of annual rainfall to thrive (wikipedia).It contains natural anti-inflammatory agents which help the body heal and repair.
What do I use it for?
- To give my food a little more color ( helps fool my mind)
- In my shakes after my workout
- Mix with oil and use on your hair to help with dandruff
- To treat upset stomach
- “The American Cancer Society says that laboratory studies have shown that curcumin interferes with several important molecular pathways involved in cancer development, growth and spread. Researchers have reported that curcumin can kill cancer cells in laboratory dishes and also slows the growth of the surviving cells. Human studies of curcumin in cancer prevention and treatment are in the early stages.”
Read more: http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/22-surprising-uses-for-turmeric#ixzz3ac0dyzkI
- I add it to pretty much everything I cook in powder form and save the fresh version for my shakes.