As an islander I grew up with coconut oil. My mom made her own and we used it on an almost daily basis. We didn’t know its benefits. It was one of those things you just adopt because it is part of your culture. Imagine my surprise when I found out how truly a mazing coconut oil is!!
How do I make it?
- I use meat of 4 mature coconuts
- place in food processor, I add a little bit of water as needed, blend until well shred
- I use a coffee filter and place over mason jar (or any glass jar) and squeeze the milk into the jar. You can also use a cheese cloth.
- I allow to sit for 24-36 hours.
- the oil will remain at the bottom and the curd at the top.
- discard of curd (or use for other things), Virgin oil remains on bottom.
uses for coconut oil
- For cooking and baking ( High smoke point)
- On skin as moisturizer
- On hair
- Helps prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
- On lips as chapstick
- In my smoothie
- As an all natural anti-inflammatory
- cold sores
- hundreds of more uses.