During a period of high stress in my life, Turning the big 30, My skin suddenly rebelled on me. I was thrown back to the late 90’s with horrendous acne. If there was anything I wanted less than to be 13 again was to be 13 and with acne! A friend suggested I try a tea tree oil mask ( Thanks P. Bath!). After one use I fell in love with the stuff, Despite its very strong scent. My skin was glowing, the redness was all but gone and my pimples decreased in size. After months of dealing with greasy skin and breakouts I had found my solution!
What is it?
Tea Tree oil, also known as melaleuca oil, is extracted from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia. It is native to Australia.Please do not confuse with Tea oil. It has been used in alternative medicine for many years and has seen an increase in popularity in the past decades (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/).
What do I use it for?
- I apply a few drops directly to my pimple and leave overnight
- I make a mask- 2-3 drops of tea tree oil, 1 tablespoon of raw honey ( which also has antibacterial properties), almond milk, and if available a tablespoon of pureed aloe.
- As a scrub- combine 5-6 drops ( yes the smell is strong) of tea tree oil, 1 Tablespoon of pureed aloe, 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Sometimes I make it in bulk and store it. It has natural preservatives so don’t worry.
- As a topical antiseptic
- On toe nail fungus and athletes foot
- On cold sores
- On ringworm
- Insect bites
- antiseptic for small cuts
- treats warts
Oral use ( NEVER SWALLOW TEA TREE OIL!!!!!)
- For bad breath add a few drops of tea tree oil to warm water
- Sore throat and congestion- boil water, add 2 drops of tea tree oil, cover your head with a towel and bend over pot. ( not recommended for children due to the risk of spilling the hot water).
- Inflamed gums- 1 drop of tea tree oil to your tooth paste as well as 1 drop in your mouthwash.
- Mouth sores and laryngitis- Gargle with a solution of warm water and 2-3 drops of tea tree oil.
- all natural cleaner/disinfectant (http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/04/recipe-for-a-toxin-free-kitchen-10-homemade-kitchen-cleaners.html)
- Mildew remover
- Mix with apple cider vinegar and use to scrub mold
- Homemade deodorant
- In pets crates to keep fleas away
- In pets bathwater to kill fleas and ticks
- For ear aches
Tea tree oil is very strong so please dilute if you have sensitive skin. It is definitely a must have part of my arsenal!